- 1 unbaked 9" pie crust shaped in deep quiche dish or pie pan
- 2 cups grated mozzarella
- ½ lb Asparagus - slim stalks
- ½ cup grated Manchego cheese
- 4 large eggs - beaten
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ½ cup Half and Half
- 1½ T Green Garlic Pesto (see Recipe below)
- ⅛ t salt
- ⅛ t fresh ground pepper
Preheat oven to 400F
Blanch asparagus - put in boiling water for 30 seconds then immediately into ice water; dry completely. Cut off top 3" to 3½" of each stalk. Chop rest of stem into 1" pieces.
Sprinkle about one cup of mozzarella on pie crust.
Spread chopped asparagus over cheese.
Sprinkle Manchego and remaining mozzarella over onion mixture.
Lay asparagus stems in spoke fashion on top with tips outward
Beat eggs, cream, half and half, pesto, salt and pepper together with whisk. Pour over pie crust slowly so all liquid is absorbed.
Bake for about 35-40 minutes until quiche is puffy and golden and center does not seem liquid when moved. Allow to cool at least 10-15 minutes before cutting.
Quiche can be eaten hot, cold or at room temperature.
- ½ lb Green Garlic (found at many Spring Farmers Markets)
- ¼ cup pine nuts – toasted
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ t salt, plus more to taste
- ½ grated Parmesan or Pecorino
Trim and discard root of green garlic. Chop in 1" pieces
In a blender or food processor, pulse garlic to chop. Add pine nuts to chop and pulse until mixture is still a bit coarse.
With motor running, drizzle in olive oil. Add more if too thick but should not be runny. Pulse in cheese. Add salt then adjust seasoning to taste.
Freeze lots for later.