- 1 unbaked 9" pie crust shaped in deep quiche dish or pie pan
- 1 t butter
- 1 t olive oil
- ¼ cup minced white onion
- ¼ cup chopped red pepper OR 2.25 oz can of sliced green chilis
- 2 cups grated Mexican mixed cheeses
- 4 oz spicy sausage cooked and well drained (use chorizo if available)
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1½ cup Half and Half
- 4 large eggs - beaten
- ½ t ground cumin
- 1 t chili powder or southwest seasoning
- 1 T fresh chopped cilantro
- ¼ t salt
- ⅛ t fresh ground white pepper
Preheat oven to 400F
Melt butter and oil in small skillet.
Sauté onion, peppers and garlic until onion is translucent. Let cool slightly - about 10 - 15 minutes.
Sprinkle about ½ cup of cheese over pie crust and spread sausage and onion mixture over cheese.
Sprinkle remaining cheese over sausage
Beat cream, half and half, eggs, seasonings, cilantro, salt and pepper together with whisk. Pour over pie crust slowly so all liquid is absorbed.
Bake for about 35-40 minutes until quiche is puffy and golden and center does not seem liquid when moved. Allow to cool at least 10-15 minutes before cutting. Garnish with sprig of fresh cilantro or sliced black olives.
Quiche can be eaten hot, cold or at room temperature. You may enjoy serving this with sides of sour cream with chopped chives, and salsa.